Archive for January, 2012|
January 5, 2012 • By Dan Hinmon, Principal
Over the holidays I ended up in urgent care when my helpful husband suffered a bad burn due to a scalding accident. Let’s just say cooking garlic mashed potatoes for 35 dinner guests requires using lots of heavy pots filled with boiling water, and the lids aren’t always as secure as you think they are.
We’ve invested in bandages and ointment and he’s healing well, but I couldn’t help think that an already unpleasant experience could have avoided being even more unpleasant if the clinic had taken advantage of mobile phone technologies and paid attention to their web presence. (more…)